40,000 Runners, 40,000 Pre-Race Routines

Posted on 08. Dec, 2009 by in Uncategorized

By Emily Lavin

Lamar Robertsen has an advantage over other marathon runners on race day.

“Before I leave the house, I eat a mint chocolate chip energy bar while the theme song from ‘Rocky’ plays in the background,” said Robertsen, 39. “It’s cheesy, I know, but I’ve done it before every race for the last five years, and I’ve always run well.”

Robertsen, from Rhode Island, is one of thousands of runners competing in the 2009 New York City Marathon, and one of many runners who have specific routines they follow on the morning of the race. While most participants have trained for months to prepare for the marathon, they still rely on their pre-race rituals to give them a last-minute boost for the 26.2-mile run.

“When you run a marathon, either you’re gonna feel it that day or you’re not gonna feel it, and your attitude goes a long way in helping you finish the race,” Robertsen said.

Some routines are as simple as simple as eating a familiar food before leaving the house or hotel.

“I have the same thing before every race—one plain bagel with peanut butter on it,” said Sue Rusch, 37, from North Dakota. “That bagel does for me what coffee does for most people in the morning. It wakes me up and calms me down, and then I’m good to go.”

Other runners wear a certain piece of clothing for good luck. Four years ago, Mark Huddlestone put on a plain blue T-shirt right before walking out the door for a race. He beat his personal best time that day, and the t-shirt has been part of his race day uniform ever since.

“I still leave it in my closet until about 10 minutes before I leave,” said Huddlestone, 47, who flew in from England for the marathon. “It’s already got a couple holes in it, but I’m going to keep wearing it until it’s hanging by a thread.”

First-time New York City Marathon runner Rich Myung said that once most runners find a routine that works, they stick with it—no matter how unconventional it might be.

“I always have a few sips of beer before any race,” said Myung, 38. “I know that’s not what they mean when they tell you to stay hydrated, but I’ve always managed to cross the finish line.”

There are a few runners who believe that the best pre-race routine is to not have any routine at all. New York City native Dennis Milz, 42, said he makes sure to vary his breakfast and to keep his iPod on shuffle before competitions.

“My idea is that it’s just dangerous to get wrapped up in superstitions,” said Millz. “I feel better if I arrive at the starting line with a clear mind. If I’m good about my training, I can make my own luck.”

Tags: , ,